Virtual Instructor-Led Training (vILT)
SumTotal supports VILT delivery like no other solution on the market. Integrated with delivery platforms, such as Zoom, Webex, and Adobe Connect, SumTotal offers the robust Learning Platform needed for classroom management. Easily schedule and deliver your organization’s VILT sessions to provide a superior user experience to elevate the capabilities of your entire workforce with the industry’s most comprehensive learning solution.
What is VILT?
Also known as virtual classroom training (VCT), virtual instructor-led training (VILT) is training delivered in a virtual environment, which can also include a simulated environment in certain use cases. VILT is designed to simulate the traditional classroom learning experience. Good VILT programs engage their attendees and understand the environment. They adapt the material, presentation styles, and course management appropriately.
Why Consider VILT?
VILT has been an evolving method of e-learning delivery that has taken on increased importance in the rapidly changing business climate faced by organizations today. Learning and collaboration technologies have promoted VILT into a powerful solution for reaching widely dispersed learners efficiently and cost-effectively.
VILT has transformed the way millions of people learn, both on and off the job. For many organizations, it is an essential element in creating a blended solution for training and development. In addition to workforce training, VILT effectively supports extended enterprise development for the customer, reseller/partner, and product training. Most importantly, it allows your organization to capture the connections sought after for a remote or dispersed workforce while also providing that “just in time” knowledge transfer.
What are the Benefits of VILT vs. ILT?
Instructor-led training (ILT) can be done both in-person and virtually. What advantages does VILT provide versus in-person options?
- Cost Reduction: Scalable, virtual training removes the need for travel costs.
- Flexibility and Learner Convenience: Learners can choose when, where, and through which preferred device that they would like to participate in training courses. As a result, VILT offers sustainable training that fits into the learner’s schedule.
- Design Configurability: To best meet the needs of your workforce, customers, or partners, VILT curriculum can be delivered in short, incremental modules, which can be completed independently or in combination with other courses or curricula.
- Increased Capacity: VILT allows an organization to accommodate large numbers of students without increasing the materials or space needed in typical classroom settings.
- Global Classroom: With the global delivery of VILT programs, learners from a variety of cultural and geographic backgrounds can engage simultaneously, making for a more diverse learning experience
Common VILT Pitfalls
The challenge that has been at the core of VILT adoption is not necessarily a technical one; its success and failure lie more in the delivery and experience by the attendees. Four primary pitfalls contribute to an unsatisfactory experience:
- Failure of an instructor to engage with learners
- Lack of opportunities to communicate (instructor and learners)
- Content not designed for virtual environment
- Unsupported technology that disrupts the learner experience